Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bunny love

An Easter/garden bento for preschool:

-- Apple flowers and broccoli grass;
-- Bunny crackers;
-- Bunny-shaped hard-boiled egg half;
-- Sushi rice bunnies, also made with the egg mold.
T ate everything but the egg: even making it bunny-shaped is not enough to make an egg appealing for this child. I can't complain, though, because the kid ate the broccoli.

I made bunny- and basket-shaped banana cakes for the class (using a recipe from My Halal Kitchen, omitting the blueberries and including homemade vanilla yogurt and a bit of cinnamon) using a silicone baking mold. Adding some vanilla cream cheese frosting was delicious if a bit messy.

My husband's lunch was quick:

-- Stir-fried chicken and vegetables over rice, left over from dinner last night;
-- Hard-boiled egg;
-- Banana cake. His was shaped like a bee. (There were also some ladybugs and butterflies. Note my use of the past tense--they're all gone now!)