Friday, June 24, 2011

Not a bento: Rainbow Sprinkle Smoothie

I made this the other day, and it was so good I wrote down what I'd done so I can do it again next time.

Recipe: Rainbow Sprinkle Smoothies

Freeze at least a couple of hours ahead of time
  • one banana, peeled and broken into small chunks, and 
  • a few strawberries, hulled and halved.
(I used the baking tray from my toaster oven, lined with parchment paper.)
    Put them into the blender, along with
    • 12 to 16 ounces of orange juice,
    • half a cup of vanilla yogurt (we used homemade),
    • a handful of blueberries (we used fresh, but frozen would be fine), and
    • a handful of raw baby spinach leaves.
    Blend, stopping to push down with a scraper as needed, and adding extra liquid if needed. The result is a delightful pink drink with flecks of red, green, and blue. (Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture until after we'd drunk it all! It was delicious.)