Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Okay, we're not Irish. But I did want to make a St. Patrick's Day bento for Toddlebug. The first tier went smoothly enough: a rainbow of fruit with a pot of gold at the end.

-- Rainbow: Strawberries, cantaloupe (some in clover shape), pineapple, green grapes, blueberries, blackberries. I had frozen raspberries but no room to put them in.
-- Pot of gold: Corn muffin.

My plan for the second tier was to put in peas (because they're green and T's favorite veggie) and then use the heart egg mold to make an egg shamrock, dyed green with boiled spinach.


Yeah, not so much. The egg, while enormous enough to easily fill the mold, was quite difficult to peel neatly (came from a local farm last week, so rather fresh) and the spinach did not do as much for the color as I anticipated. I think this clearly represents a Fail... but I was not interested in resorting to artificial coloring and I only have two eggs left to last me until next Wednesday. And my other option would've been just PB& J cut with a cookie cutter.


My husband's lunch is just another basic bento:

-- Hard-boiled egg;
-- Corn muffin;
-- Strawberries;
-- Yellow bell peppers;
-- Ham and Dijon on a whole-wheat tortilla.